Thursday, March 25, 2010

I Like Mom's Coffee Best

There are no less than sixteen Starbucks locations in my fair city while she boasts only two Dunkin Donuts. I prefer a simple brewer to a barrista and a styrofoam cup to a cardboard sleeve and I'm still kinda a coffee novice who can't understand why one cup should cost so much more - so I usually go to Dunkin Donuts. On those occasions when I do patronize that cadillac of coffee shops - I always enjoy carrying on the following rebellious exchange:

Barrista: "What can I get started for you today?"

Me: "Hi. I'll have a medium coffee."

Barrista: "You mean a grande coffee?"

Me: "Yeah, I'll have a medium coffee."

Barrista: (Looks away fumbling with the stack of cups)

Me: "Thanks."

What's wrong with me? The stakes are definitely coming loose on my hospitality tent down here:)

11 comments:

MomZup said...

You are genetically engineered for this exchange with the barrista! Both your mother and your grandmother and perhaps your grandpa Tate would have had this same response! Might have more to do with your feisty heritage than your stakes loosening! Much love to you!

Joel Tom Tate said...

There is nothing wrong with your subversive behavior. Starbucks represents corporate pretentiousness at its worst and anyone working for the Man deserves to get hassled for it.
Fight the power, John. Fight the powers that be! (My fist is held high right now in an unmistakable gesture of defiance.)

lisa d said...

"Big Mac" is a stupid name. Would you ever order yourself a "large cheeseburger with an extra slice of bread thrown in"?

john tate said...

Yeah "Big Mac" is a poor name - maybe McDonalds should rename it the "Carne Grande", serve it on a baguette, and sell it for eight bucks:)

lisa d said...

zing!

sarah said...

I love Starbucks, country-folk.

Courtney W. said...

I do believe Starbucks adds a addictive chemical to their coffee...I like them. (shameful head bowed) I can go a long time w/o having one, but then I do, and then I must repeat my visit on a weekly basis for a Tall coffee frap, lite, with chips, no cream (thats right, I've got the barista lingo down!)
Wait... is this why you couldn't meet us there the other day... b/c you were "mowing your lawn..." why didn't you just say so? :)

The Sauce said...

I predict this aversion to Starbucks will change a little bit...in your future. If only because you're a kind companion to one who digs it.

Anonymous said...

I have never been able to speak "Starbuckian" correctly and long for a coconut and dunkin donut instead.

Durban Flights said...

i like mom's coffee best also .i would like to salute you.

Abuja Flights | Accra Flight | Flights to Lagos

counter strike 1.6 said...

Of course moms coffee is the best in the world and you can't compare anything else to it :)