Friday, December 18, 2009

Thurl Arthur Ravenscroft Gets Honorable Mention

Like a Siberian Russian able to hold obscene and toxic amounts of liquor - I can take in a bunch of Christmas music without cracking up. Here is a list of my favorite mainstream radio offerings:

1)"Do You Hear What I Hear" by Whitney Houston
2)"Celebrate Me Home" by Kenny Loggins
3)"Hey Santa" by Carnie and Wendy Wilson
4)"I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" by Gayla Peevey
5)"A Holly Jolly Christmas" by Burl Ives
6)"All I Want for Christmas is You" by Mariah Carey

Alright, I'm running out of time here at the Friedman Branch and you all are busy hating - but how about these terrible offerings at the bottom of the list:

987)"Happy Christmas (War is Over)" by John Lennon
988)"Same Old Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg (Besides Johnny Cash's "Sunday Morning Coming Down" - this may be the saddest song ever composed - keep the sharp objects out of arm's reach)
999)"Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney

8 comments:

lisa d said...

you're right, we are busy hating. whitney AND mariah in the top six? that's a little diva-rich.

Joel Tom Tate said...

I want a pink hippo for Christmas.

john tate said...

Divas are divas for a reason

lisa d said...

oh snap!

Joel Tom Tate said...

I could almost forgive the inclusion of Mariah and Whitney, were it not for the ommission of Run-DMC's Christmas in Hollis. What were you thinking, fat?

sarah said...

I really like Wonderful Christmastime. It has a lot of good points. Simply having a wonderful Christmastime is kind of what those Advent Movement people are all about.


And that Mariah Carey song is a fever that resists all medication. I HATE IT so much.

barefootkangaroo said...

I also must defend the honor of simply having a wonderful christmas time. It's a good song.

I think the most addictive christmas song, like ear-worm crack, is that one...you know... "last Christmas I gave you my heart, but the very next day you gave it away. This year, to save me from tears, I'm giving it to somebody special..."

Will you ever learn?!?!

So many good Christmas songs. I think I'm gonna work on a carol for next Christmas.

john tate said...

Mariah Carey is hurt. One thing I like about the McCartney song is how he believes in the strength of the lyric enough to shroud it some of the goofiest and most simian music to ever enjoy massive radio play.